- 1 box white cake mix
- Red, yellow, green, and blue food dyes
- Make the cake mix according to the directions on the back of the box.
- Divide the cupcake batter into 6 separate bowls. (I used a 2/3 measuring cup to divide the batter. But this left me with a little leftover batter, so I eyeballed divvying it between the bowls.)
- Add food coloring to each individual bowl. You want a red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and a purple. Then arrange the bowls in that specific order on your countertop.
- Then start working your way backwards through the ROY G BIV set up. Start with the purple batter and pour less than one tablespoon of purple batter into a cupcake liner. Spread it evenly and try not to get any batter on the edges of the cupcake liner. I used a toothpick to help spread my batter.
- Repeat with the remaining colors, still working backwards through the rainbow. Continue to add as little batter as possible with each layer to keep your cupcakes from exploding in the oven. Also try to keep the colors from mixing too much or you’ll have marbled cupcakes instead of layered cupcakes.
- Bake according to the directions on the back of the box
- Remove from heat when a toothpick inserted into the center of a cupcake comes out clean. Allow to cool on a cooling rack completely before topping with frosting. If desired, garnish with rainbow sprinkles.
- Prep Time: 1 hour
- Cook Time: 15 minutes