General facts and Best Baking Habits
Before we move on, here are some basic yet important things to remember.
- Cookies without leavening agents will simply be more dense and flat than cookies with leavening.
- There is no difference between brown or white eggs, and if you’re using bantam eggs, consider doubling the number of eggs. That said, you have to be careful- you don’t want to have too many extra yolks
- Whisks can be replaced with spoons
- Be aware of all food allergies. Gluten, dairy, & nuts are all common baking ingredients. Know if someone you’re serving will be allergic before you go to the grocery store
- You can substitute any type of oil for canola oil. Just know that depending on the oil you chose, it might affect the taste of your dessert.
- Covering a dessert in the oven with aluminum foil will allow it to continue baking, while simultaneously preventing them from getting any browner.
- NEVER microwave metal! It will react explosively in the microwave and is